Precautions before putting in place a Desensitisation Treatment
Discuss the envisaged treatment with the owner and explain the principle.
- inform the owner that the improvement will be partial
- inform the owner of the duration of treatment (long term)
- inform the owner of the delay in response (> 6 months)
- Animal must be easy to handle, for the owner to administer the injections themselves
Animal easy to manipulate for the injections by owner
- Plan veterinary visits every 3 to 4 months
- Food elimination diet should have already been carried out
- Meticulous check for flea infestation should have been carried out
- Checks for bacterial and fungal infections should have been carried out.